• Breaking News

    Port Harcourt collapsed building: Death toll rises to 15

    Port Harcourt collapsed building: Death toll rises to 15




    The South-South Coordinator of the National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, of Mr Ejike Martins, on Monday said 31 persons have been rescued alive, while 15 others were brought out of the rubble dead, at the site of the Port Harcourt collapsed building.


    DAILY POST had reported that a seven-storyed building under construction at the Government Reserved Area, Port Harcourt collapsed on Nov. 19.


    However, speaking on the incident, Martins told NAN that every floor of the building fell on each other in the process of the collapse, making the effort of rescue operators to `appear slow’.


    According to him, the complexity of the incident was caused by the slow pace of rescue operations at the collapsed seven-storeyed building in Port Harcourt.


    “The peculiarity of this collapse is such that every floor fell directly on the other; the implication is that the debris will be removed bit by bit.


    “This is what has made the operation to be seen as relatively slow, this is also the reason it is taking some time,’’ he said.


    Martins added that the organizations involved in the rescue operations had been very proactive but added that they were constrained by the peculiarity of the collapse.

    No comments

    Drop your opinion for this post here.